Orders of Protection Attorneys in Suffolk County
Helping Families Since 2004
An order of protection (such as a restraining order) is a legal tool for helping victims ofdomestic violence or criminal abuse. In the case of domestic abuse, the victim can petition the family court for an order of protection against the abuser. For it to be considered domestic violence the abuser must be a spouse, former spouse, parent to victim's child, any blood relative or relative by marriage, or the abuser must be someone with whom the victim is having or had an intimate relationship. A dedicated attorney may be able to help you with your domestic violence case. Our Suffolk County orders of protection lawyers atThe Meyers Law Group, P.C. are committed to helping clients get the results they need.
How An Order Can Help
Just as in a domestic violence situation, an order of protection for criminal abuse protects the victim from the abuser.
The abuser may be legally required to do any or all of the below:
- Stay away from the victim, the victim's children or family, the victim's household or work location, etc.
- End all communications to the victim
- Pay for all or part of legal fees
- Pay for any damages (physical or property)
- Get counseling
- Turn in any firearms to the authorities
Am I Eligible for an Order of Protection?
The state allows a victim to file a petition with the family court if:
- The victim is or was legally married to the abuser
- The victim is related to the abuser by blood or marriage
- The victim is or was in an intimate relationship with the abuser
- The victim has a child with the abuser
If you or someone you love has been the victim of domestic violence or criminal abuse, do not hesitate to contact a Suffolk County orders of protection attorney from our team. We can answer all of your questions regarding restraining orders and other orders of protection to determine the best option for your situation, and we will provide you with aggressive advocacy to seek the court's approval.
Call (631) 496-1484 for your free consultation. We’re ready to help.