Request Consultation 631.894.4523
Dedicated to Fighting for Your Best Interests Let Our Attorneys Be There Every Step of the Way

Filing a Child Support Complaint

If you have never tried to collect child support payments before, there are a few steps that you should be aware of that will make the process a little easier. First, you must petition for or file a complaint for child support in the jurisdiction in which you reside. In addition, you must provide the address of the non-custodial parent so that he/she can be served with the appropriate papers. However, if you do not have the address, your local child support enforcement agency can help you locate that person.

The summons is then delivered by someone over the age of 18, normally a process server, marshal, or sheriff. On the complaint is written a period of time in which the non-custodial parent must reply to or comply with the complaint. If that person should deny parentage of the child, the court will then order a paternity test. However, if there is no question about parentage, both parties will attend a hearing whose date is set by the court. At this hearing the amount of child support will be announced as well as a payment schedule.

Need help getting child support? Contact the Meyers Law Group to speak with a Long Island family lawyer.