Orders of Protection in Huntington
Long Island Family Law Attorneys Serving Suffolk County, NY
An order of protection (such as a restraining order) is a legal tool for
helping victims of
domestic violence or criminal abuse. In the case of domestic abuse, the victim can petition
the Family Court for an order of protection against the abuser. For it
to be considered domestic violence the abuser must be a spouse, former
spouse, parent to victim's child, any blood relative or relative by
marriage or the abuser must be someone with whom the victim is having
or had an intimate relationship.
A dedicated attorney may be able to help you with your domestic violence
case. Our Huntington &
Long Island divorce lawyers at The Meyers Law Group, P.C. are committed to helping clients get the
results they need.
How can an order protect me?
Just as in a domestic violence situation, an order of protection for criminal
abuse protects the victim from the abuser. The abuser may be legally required
to do any or all of the below:
- Stay away from the victim, the victim's children or family, the victim's
household or work location, etc.
- End all communications to the victim
- Pay for all or part of legal fees
- Pay for any damages (physical or property)
- Get counseling
- Turn in any firearms to the authorities
Am I able for file for an order of protection?
The state allows a victim to file a petition with the family court if:
- The victim is or was legally married to the abuser
- The victim is related to the abuser by blood or marriage
- The victim is or was in an intimate relationship with the abuser
- The victim has a child with the abuser
If you or someone you love has been the victim of domestic violence or
criminal abuse, do not hesitate to
contact a Huntington family attorney from our team. We can answer all of your
questions regarding restraining orders and other orders of protection
to determine the best option for your situation, and we will provide you
with aggressive advocacy to seek the court's approval. Our team proudly
represents clients in
Nassau County and